Thursday, April 26, 2007

Goodbye to a true legend

Yesterday, I awoke to some sad news.

I heard of the death of Alan Ball and being a life-long Evertonian I had to say something.

I was never fortunate enough to see him play live at Goodison Park as I was only 10, when he moved on to Arsenal, A move he never would have wanted but that the manager at the time thought was necessary. Despite this he never forgot the Blue half of the city who had worshiped him and the other members of the holy trinity (Harvey and Kendall). He was a true gentleman on and off the pitch in an age when there was no play-acting in football and if you were tackled, you just got up and got on with it.

There are plenty of players in this day and age who can learn a lot from his example and that of the many other players of his generation.

He was always known of course as one of the heroes of the 1966 World Cup win, but even I did not realise that it was him, and not Geoff Hurst, who was voted Man of the Match that July day, all those years ago. We are all Saddened by his sudden passing from a heart attack and I feel lucky that my own attack in Feb did not have the tragic consequences that his did on Tuesday night.

Bally! You were here all too briefly, and left us much too soon. Your memory will long endure for many Evertonian's as well as the fans of Arsenal and Southampton, all of whom you served so well as a player and to those clubs who were lucky enough to have you as a manager, you will be well remembered.

So Long friend and Rest In Peace!!!!

No comments: